3 Year Old Child Swallowed 37 Magnets and Survived

Monday, March 12, 2012

Payton Bushnell, the 3-year-old daughter and resident of Oregon, has been hospitalized since February 21st after consuming 37 magnets. The Buckyballs that Bushnell consumed were clumped around her stomach, forming a ring of sorts. Fortunately, she'll live to tell the tale, though this comes as both relief and a shock. In 2006, almost 19 children were injured, with one fatality, due to the consumption of toy-magnets. Since then, many magnet-themed toys have been recalled, and magnets have even been put into holiday warnings.



 

These particular magnets, called "Buckyballs" (with partner "Buckycubes"), are the strongest type of permanent magnets due to their use of "rare earth" alloys and elements. Buckyballs were actually intended to be a desk-toy for adults, serving as a creative outlet for stressed individuals.

 

The Buckyballs company released a statement Monday morning, which can be seen at the top of their web page:
"Buckyballs was saddened to learn that a 3-year old girl in Oregon had swallowed high-powered magnets but we are relieved that she is expected to make a full recovery. This unfortunate incident underscores the fact that Buckyballs and Buckycubes are for adults. They are not toys and are not intended for children. We urge all consumers to read and comply with the warnings we place on all our products, on our website and in stores. Please keep these products out of the hands and reach of all children."

Add comment

  Country flag

biuquote
  • Comment
  • Preview
Loading